Thursday, January 22, 2009

Trip to the ER and a Week at Mom's House


The gout got so bad that I had to go back in to the ER. Of course, Dr Clements was no help at all and I really felt that he left me hanging. I went to the ER at UAB and waited for 8 hours in the waiting area. Finally, they sent me to the back and I was able to see a useless ER doc. It was not helpful at all. They wanted to give me a pain shot and send me home for the gout. This was a severe attack of gout and a pain shot and then going home was not going to suffice. Anyways, argued with the ER doc and then got the attending. He called the rheumatology on call and they told me that they would call me the next day. I got a shot of steroid and a pain shot, then was sent home. After 14 hours in the ER!!! A horrible experience in a horrible ER. UAB should be ashamed.


Anyways, the next day the rheumatology oncall doc never called. Fought with the Kirklin Clinic for several hours. Still in horrible pain, called Dr Clements and no help. Finally, that night Dr Chandler calls me and tells me that I can have the priviledge of seeing him the next day.


I go see Dr Chandler and he draws a fluid sample off of my knee and then injects my knee with steroids.


So, finally, after several days in pain I am finally treated.


I was very disappointed with the whole experience and left feeling like I was treated like a number with no regard for the extreme pain and discomfort. Not to mention that I am still very much in pain from the surgery.


I was still on a soft diet with soups/mashed potato/grits as my primary diet. It was a horrible time. I also make my 2 week appointment with Clements office and try to spend time recovering from the gout.


Due to my problems post surgery, I also decide to stay at Mom's because it is closer to UAB.


Here is a pic of the abdomen, after surgery.


No comments: