Monday, December 1, 2008

Sleep Apnea

Sleep Apnea is the main reason for moving forward with this surgery. For about 18 months, I was unable to wear my mask and was completely exhausted from day to day. It was a living hell. With the help of a nightly dose of Ambien, I am now able to sleep with the mask. Without the Ambien, I would not be able to use the mask.

Above all, I am just shocked at the state of medicine. The best that they can do is this medieval instrument that forces air into the lungs. Billions of dollars spent on healthcare and that is it. Shameful.

It is my hope that I can box up the mask after surgery and move on from that.

I think that sleep apnea is much more complicated than just a blocked airway. I did not start having problems with apnea until after I started on Testosterone Replacement Therapy. One of the side effects of TRT is sleep apnea. Why are the two related? Further, when I was young I was just as big, why didn't I have problems with OSA then?

No comments: