Friday, March 6, 2009

Disappointed with my Visit

I went to see Dr Clements at Kirklin Clinic - UAB on my gastric bypass today and got a Physician Assistant(Joann) instead. Frankly, she really irritated the crap out of me.



She started in with the exercise and I told her that I have been unable to exercise because of the gout. She stated emphatically, that I should be exerercising an hour a day for 7 days a week. (Is she on drugs?) Then, she started in on the water and not drinking enough. I told her that I had a hard time with keeping enough food and enough water down, then she wanted to know if I had gone to support group. Because, this was "covered" on the support group and I would know. That I should be drinking 64oz of water a day, etc, etc. Then, she wants a complete inventory of what I eat on a given day. I gave her that and was informed that I am eating too many carbs and I need to "completely" change my habits.



My initial weight was 268lbs and I know weigh 233lbs. I have lost 13.1% of my total weight and about 35% of my excess weight. She said that most patients have lost 25% at 8 weeks. I don't see how that is possible. I have seen studies that identify 38% of excess weight at one year. that is on track with the graph below and also on track with the "Swedish" study on this topic.



I am tracking exactly with the blue line and I was so totally put off by her inquisition that I was at a loss to ask questions.


As I am leaving, I see Dr Clements and he speaks. Why didn't I see him today and not this nazi PA? I drive over a 100 miles to see Dr Clements and my insurance will reimburse as if I saw him.

More importantly, I think that she was wrong. I think that she was thinking of the excess weight % and not total weight %. The nurse that ushered me in the room and weighed me has mis-calculated these figures before. I think that this was another example of that.

The numbers don't add up. Plus, if I make changes to my diet now and I am tracking normal, then I will go even further into starvation mode. I don't see them for another 3 months.

Honestly, I have been consistently disappointed by the guys since I started this. They have screwed up so many times. After everything that I have dealt with, the last thing that I want is some overpaid nurse raking me over the coals on what I am eating everyday.

I doubt that I will go back. This office, Kirklin Clinic, and UAB have all been consistent disappointments in the process. I wished that I had gone to St. Vincent's or to Baptist in Alabaster.

I would love to hear some feedback on this posting. Has anyone had similar encounters?

No comments: