Wednesday, November 26, 2008

An insurance curve ball...

I learned yesterday that my company will stop the type of policy that I had originally been approved with. My original surgery date was set for 1/6. But, with the change in policy I could not risk losing my coverage or an increase in amount. So, I decided to change my date to 12/17. My coverage with this policy would end on 12/31 so I wanted to get the surgery before that date.

This really sucked and was a last minute change by my company. (One of many bonehead decisions by these execs, but that is a blog for a different day.) This meant that I would have no last Christmas feast!!! Plus, there is an obvious risk of death. So, I would hate for something to happen to me in surgery right before Christmas. That would be really bad for my familty and children. But, decided to go forward anyways.

1 comment:

Mary K. said...

The Myth of the Last Supper
I don't know if your surgeon is anything like mine, but we weren't allowed to gain any weight between the date of intake and surgery, and in fact two weeks out from surgery, they usually ask you to do a liquid diet. I gained weight in rebellion the first few months after I was approved, so I had a serious uphill battle the month before my pre-surgery appointments to lose the weight I'd gained plus more. They like you to lose some right before the surgery to shrink your liver. If you're going to have a last meal, make it now, and then for the next two weeks, do the liquid diet they recommend. The best liquid to my mind is myoplex lite ready made drinks. Drink them at least twice a day, even if you don't have to. It will get you used to life post surgery...better to know a bit than have it be a shock...hope this info is helpful:-)